Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
One Hundred | 21 & 17 fl | U/C
(05-09-2021, 07:55 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I hope to see a day where Victoria gets a diet. I'm personally not a fan of pedestrian islands at all (or at least how we seem to build them). In pretty much every case we have in the city I'd rather have nothing.

The flashing-light crossing (similar to Jubilee and King St E at Cameron) might be more effective.

(05-10-2021, 09:26 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Victoria sucks along this stretch - it's too narrow and windy for an arterial road. I would recommend crossing at Joseph street if you don't want to get run-over.
Agreed, but when does Victoria not suck? Is there 'main' road here that is great to be on? Duke? King in Uptown? King between Bridgeport and Willis Way is probably my favourite stretch, but even then... We don't have good pedestrian or cycling facilities on any 'activity centre' roads imo.
Imagine how much windier it will be with a wall of towers stretching several blocks on both sides?

A pedestrian light at Michael or Oak might be useful, similar to the pedestrian light at Lester St and University in Waterloo.
(05-11-2021, 12:00 AM)nms Wrote: Imagine how much windier it will be with a wall of towers stretching several blocks on both sides?

A pedestrian light at Michael or Oak might be useful, similar to the pedestrian light at Lester St and University in Waterloo.

There needs to be a full light at Bramm/Michael. I live on Arthur and have gotten good at crossing here, especially since the street narrowed, but it's a harzard. In addition, vehicles trying to turn left into Bramm/Garmet/Arthur will continue to be a hazard especially as more people move in.
Photo 
[Image: fybqFFF.jpg]

https://i.imgur.com/fybqFFF.jpg
Are those units on that short section that joins the two towers that looks down on what I think is going to be called Garment Street?
(06-04-2021, 09:38 AM)Spokes Wrote: Are those units on that short section that joins the two towers that looks down on what I think is going to be called Garment Street?

Yup,  those are podium units on the 3rd tower (garment street condos)

I didn't realize those were there. Nice addition
(06-07-2021, 06:15 AM)Spokes Wrote: I didn't realize those were there. Nice addition

Looking from near Station Park, the 100/Garment cluster stands pretty much by itself.

taken from the parking lot off of park street, gives a nice angle of the back
Does anyone know how visitor parking works for these buildings?
The back side of the parking garage/podium is getting the same tan paint to finish that is used on the 100 Victoria towers. This appears to track with the renders for Garment Street that has that colour wrapping around to the glass section of the podium.
(08-25-2021, 01:46 PM)pandapants87 Wrote: Does anyone know how visitor parking works for these buildings?

Visitor parking is supposed to be under the Glove Box office building, though the parking for all 4 buildings is interconnected. Right now I don't think there is any visitor parking.

Recent drone photo from a City of Kitchener video.

[Image: sL0rVkE.png]
We have so many tall buildings here, it's crazy to see it considering maybe 15+ years ago, the tallest thing in the city was the Sun Life Financial Tower at a measly 18 floors. It's unfortunately very hard to capture the skyline because like any major city, they're spread out across so many different areas: a few in downtown Cambridge, a lot downtown Kitchener, uptown Waterloo, a good amount of ugly student buildings on a stretch of King Street North and even more around Albert/University.

And...with so many projects planned for downtown Kitchener, downtown Cambridge as well as suburban areas like Northfield/Conestogo, Westmount/Father David Bauer, Courtland/Borden area, Sportsworld Drive and that massive SmartCentres project over on Pinebush, this region is likely going to have the most highrises/skyscrapers outside of the GTA (if we don't already hold that title). Even Ottawa doesn't compare because, apart from Claridge Icon at 45 floors, most of their buildings are midrise with a handfull maxing out at 30 floors due to the legal rules which stipulate that the views of Parliament Hill must remain protected.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »