Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Patrick's celebrations
Standing in the middle of a street (that has not been closed) probably does violate the HTA.

But I'm not sure charging everyone with HTA violations would be the right solution anyway.

They want us to 'share our thoughts'. https://www.engagewr.ca/public-gatherings
(03-27-2019, 01:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: They want us to 'share our thoughts'. https://www.engagewr.ca/public-gatherings

I guess at this point it has become "Rocket Science", too difficult for the police and city hall to figure out.

How's this to deal with the issue:

Have a sanctioned event on Ezra & King. Do it for 5 years. It will either succeed (which means money for the city of Waterloo) or it fails (which means a small loss, but less than the cost right now). If successful, make it an annual event.

Accepting this event as a reality is the only way to find a workable solution. Bitching about it and hoping it all goes away only adds to the allure of the event. If I were 20 years old, give be 1 reason why I shouldn't attend. Right. None, right now. OK, well maybe crappy weather, but with climate change, this hasn't been an issue for a long, long time. If Ezra is sanctioned, I have probably a dozen reasons not to go. Doesn't mean I won't go, it just means the allure is gone and the lustre has faded.
But what if there is a sanctioned event and a "new" ezra street pops up? Because they've tried the sanctioned event before and it didnt work. (I believe only once though)
Let the kids have their dumb party and focus on harm prevention.

There you go.
(03-28-2019, 08:37 AM)Spokes Wrote: But what if there is a sanctioned event and a "new" ezra street pops up?  Because they've tried the sanctioned event before and it didnt work. (I believe only once though)

The "sanctioned event" was an expensive undersized beer tent well away from Ezra St. You'd think they were trying to fail.  I do think they tried it two years though IIRC.

A sanctioned event ON Ezra and surrounding streets, which is more than just beer, (i.e., food, a stage, whatever) and has capacity for current crowds or more, I suspect would be far more effective.

If it doesn't, or if another one pops up, then we can cross that bridge.  But it was successful and heavily attended, and then another, equally large party popped up (and now we're talking about 50-70k people in the city), then we know exactly what to do.
(03-28-2019, 05:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:   But it was successful and heavily attended, and then another, equally large party popped up (and now we're talking about 50-70k people in the city), then we know exactly what to do.

Marchtoberfest!

(03-28-2019, 05:25 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(03-28-2019, 05:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:   But it was successful and heavily attended, and then another, equally large party popped up (and now we're talking about 50-70k people in the city), then we know exactly what to do.

Marchtoberfest!

Exactly!
(03-28-2019, 08:37 AM)Spokes Wrote: But what if there is a sanctioned event and a "new" ezra street pops up?  Because they've tried the sanctioned event before and it didnt work. (I believe only once though)

I believe that Ezra St is the allure itself, along with the student housing on Ezra. You'd need to have the event on Ezra as odd it is to have a sanctioned street party on a side street. The boundary would be King between Bricker and Central and Albert between Bricker and Central. Possibly get permission from the WRDSB to host part of the party on school property, if possible. Generally St. Patricks occurs during the March Break. Empties could be refunded to the school itself for their own student use.

It would either be successful or not. Though I do believe, if done correctly, it would work. I think this might include allowing a BYOB checkpoint, within limits (6 drinks), which I also think is a bit of the allure. Somehow though you'd need to have an exemption to the old fashioned laws in this province (corking charges).
The corkage fee is allowed to be zero, there is no mandated minimum.
(03-28-2019, 10:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The corkage fee is allowed to be zero, there is no mandated minimum.

But is corking (fee or not) still a requirement? It seems that it is as I yet to be anywhere where they don't cork before you get the drink (going to a Blue Jays game, or heck even the Kitchener Panthers cork first). Perhaps I should have worded it in that way, have no corking at all.
Let's start in September this year

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/couc...manualpost&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+New+Content+%28Feed%29&utm_content=5d6ee3304b188d00011b863e&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook
Can't we just make this a "Sanctioned" mattress burn and everything is OK? [/sarcasm]

Coke

Teenagers being teenagers. What else is new?
Also, this is what happens when 18 year olds finally get to break free of their helicopter parents.
(09-06-2019, 12:01 PM)urbd Wrote: Teenagers being teenagers. What else is new?
Also, this is what happens when 18 year olds finally get to break free of their helicopter parents.
Well said !!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »