Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
If you look closely at the map on the explainer page, all the stops and route sections affected have a serious grade difference or tight turning radius that make it hard to negotiate in heavy snow. I'm sure the list has been compiled from incidents in previous winters. I have no problems with them being proactive on known areas of concern.

(11-25-2023, 11:17 PM)KevinL Wrote: If you look closely at the map on the explainer page, all the stops and route sections affected have a serious grade difference or tight turning radius that make it hard to negotiate in heavy snow. I'm sure the list has been compiled from incidents in previous winters. I have no problems with them being proactive on known areas of concern.

Exactly! The other choice is to let Mother Nature decide when and where to alter service. And Mother Nature doesn’t know anything about transit planning.
The ridership report for September is out, and it's record-breaking. September system ridership was 2.89 million, with 3.78 million boadings.
Busses saw 2.46 million riders, 3.23 million boardings, a full 44% increase from last September.
The LRT had 424 thousand riders and 550 thousand boardings, a 38% increase from last September
System reliability took a hit to 61.7%. Probably has something to do with how busy the busses are getting!
(11-25-2023, 11:17 PM)KevinL Wrote: If you look closely at the map on the explainer page, all the stops and route sections affected have a serious grade difference or tight turning radius that make it hard to negotiate in heavy snow. I'm sure the list has been compiled from incidents in previous winters. I have no problems with them being proactive on known areas of concern.

I looked at the 206, on Cedar Road across the river. There's one short spot between Richardson and Kay that is 6%, Woodside is 4%, and everything else is 2-3%.

I rode the old 55 & 62 numerous times a from 2004 to 2009 while I lived in Cambridge, including during winter storms, and I do not remember the busses having problems on Cedar, Southwood or St. Andrews in the snow.
(11-27-2023, 03:24 PM)coriander Wrote: The ridership report for September is out, and it's record-breaking. September system ridership was 2.89 million, with 3.78 million boadings.
Busses saw 2.46 million riders, 3.23 million boardings, a full 44% increase from last September.
The LRT had 424 thousand riders and 550 thousand boardings, a 38% increase from last September
System reliability took a hit to 61.7%. Probably has something to do with how busy the busses are getting!

Boardings take time! If you have 10 people lined up to get on the bus at a single stop, that bus is going to sit for a minute. And then it will take that additional time to let everyone off at their eventual stop, too. Makes  sense that more riders slows the system down, but that means GRT needs to find ways to mitigate that (tap-on boardings at the rear door might help, for example)
Yes, I was in Toronto on the weekend and was pleased to see TTC buses have card readers at the rear doors. Much more efficient.
I was recently in Hamburg (Germany) to visit a friend, and they switched to allowing for boarding at the back door during COVID to help space people out, and they kept it because riders liked it so much. And it goes so quick, the bus can stop and pick up 8 people in a fraction of the time. If we end up getting articulated buses at some point, I think second-door-boardings are going to be an absolute necessity.

I haven't looked, but thank you for doing so, and that makes perfect sense to me. It's nice to see them being pro-active about it.
Visited the UW transit terminal today. It is terrible. The location, the amenities even the transit platforms are just so poorly thought out. It’s clear that the people making the big decisions do not ride transit and have never seen good transit.
(12-11-2023, 06:59 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Visited the UW transit terminal today. It is terrible. The location, the amenities even the transit platforms are just so poorly thought out. It’s clear that the people making the big decisions do not ride transit and have never seen good transit.

The land to the north and south of the terminal seems rather underutilised. The University's master plan involved much more coverage on the engineering campus to the south of the station than what exists right now. The former Blackberry site to the north is just incredibly barren.
(12-11-2023, 09:13 PM)coriander Wrote:
(12-11-2023, 06:59 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Visited the UW transit terminal today. It is terrible. The location, the amenities even the transit platforms are just so poorly thought out. It’s clear that the people making the big decisions do not ride transit and have never seen good transit.

The land to the north and south of the terminal seems rather underutilised. The University's master plan involved much more coverage on the engineering campus to the south of the station than what exists right now. The former Blackberry site to the north is just incredibly barren.

Even when built out it won’t be great. I think there should have been an overall plan where the shelters become porticos as the surrounding buildings are built. So at first it wouldn’t necessarily be much different from what has been built, but the design would provide for UW buildings to be built up to (touching) the shelters, eventually providing continuous shelter.
Just be glad that the University made space for the terminal within the campus envelope and did not insist on something along Phillip St instead (see the Laurier example).

There is nothing about the space that couldn't prevent a future building from being integrated into the terminal in some form. I suspect in this case that the University didn't have anything immediately on their books for a new building in that area in the timeline that the Region was looking for.
Speaking of Laurier, what is taking so long with the work there?

(12-12-2023, 10:03 PM)nms Wrote: Just be glad that the University made space for the terminal within the campus envelope and did not insist on something along Phillip St instead (see the Laurier example).

There is nothing about the space that couldn't prevent a future building from being integrated into the terminal in some form.  I suspect in this case that the University didn't have anything immediately on their books for a new building in that area in the timeline that the Region was looking for.

The concepts in the University's master plan featured buildings going up to the edges of the engineering area on the east side of the tracks. The northern one would have that kind of building-platform integration. But the new buildings in that site (E6 and E7) don't at all resemble the concepts published, so who knows.
It could be improved but given its brand new and there are many things wrong with it that aren’t “unfinished” it really is revealing how little the people building it know or care about transit.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »