Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment
Parking lot aside, the Charles St terminal land is about the same side as the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex building. If the property were paired with the post office property across Gaukel, AND the parking garage next door were incorporated into the development, plus the fact that the LRT station is right there too, something could be done on the scale of the Centre in the Square which was was also built without any onsite parking and the ability to load in large trailers. Coincidentally, the CITS is around the same size.

Or, perhaps have KW Art Gallery move to the site with a larger space for traveling exhibits. A co-operative agreement could be struck to share the space with the Indigenous community in a multi-use space.

This would be a good location for a luxury condo development.
(10-19-2021, 08:31 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: This would be a good location for a luxury condo development.

What an unpopular opinion these days
You could have luxury condos and a desirable community space, but in all likelihood it will be the former - condos.
Burn for the Charlie Westers losing their view of the park for a view of a condo.
Kitchener, region seeking input on redevelopment of Charles St. Terminal: https://kitchener.citynews.ca/local-news...al-4777744

EngageWR survey: https://www.engagewr.ca/charles-street-t...evelopment

Wasn't sure if we had a thread related to the old terminal and I'm too lazy to look, so feel free to move this if there's a more suitable thread.
(11-19-2021, 10:01 PM)ac3r Wrote: Wasn't sure if we had a thread related to the old terminal and I'm too lazy to look, so feel free to move this if there's a more suitable thread.

Ahhh ... ac3r ... 🤔

Thanks! :^)
Kitchener can build a new downtown arena debt free, says retired urban planner

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...anner.html
Why is everyone so fixated on building an arena here? It's a stupid idea, especially downtown. The Aud sits dormant most of the year unless there is an event going on.
(01-07-2022, 10:42 AM)ac3r Wrote: Why is everyone so fixated on building an arena here? It's a stupid idea, especially downtown. The Aud sits dormant most of the year unless there is an event going on.

Hey! Long time lurker, first time caller here. I remember replying to a post on Reddit where I outlined an idea identical to the one proposed in this article.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...?context=3

I don't necessarily think that a single arena/concert venue is the best use of space. Rather, some combined facility that includes an arena with some event center facilities (or indigenous hub?) could give the building potential to host activities year round. I'm infatuated with the idea of being able to step out on one side of the building and have immediate access to the restaurants and bars of DTK, or choosing to bike home along the new cycling grid or spending some time in the park. 

To your point, I agree that the existing Aud is underused, and would be a waste in it's current form if moved downtown. But I think we're smart enough to take lessons from other cities who have successfully developed such projects, and to implement similar strategies that have made them successful. 

However, I personally don't care as much for the potential of the Charles Terminal site as much as I do about the Aud site. I think that area has massive potential to be redeveloped (if done thoughtfully). Perhaps by refurbishing the older parts of the existing Aud as a new community center, which itself could center a large scale development with a significant affordable housing component. I honestly wasn't aware of the "sewer trunk" cited in the article (which is funny, since I work to design water/wastewater infrastructure - I should know better!), and how it also lends itself to being prepared to take on an additional load without the need for upgrades.
I really don’t understand the obsession some planners have with sports facilities. They usually turn out badly. This is an overwhelmingly bad idea. It’s frustrating how few are it.
(01-07-2022, 11:11 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I really don’t understand the obsession some planners have with sports facilities. They usually turn out badly. This is an overwhelmingly bad idea. It’s frustrating how few are it.

How so?  The idea of a new arena, the location, the suggested mechanism to pay for it, or a preference for other spending priorities?

What about a Yonge and Dundas Square type set up, with some good retail and amenities do you think that would liven up downtown? I guess that is what Market Square was going for but it just looks depressing these days.
I like the idea. I mentioned it before. I see it as an excellent venue for DTK. Many people I know agree.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »