Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 municipal election publicity
(10-21-2022, 08:20 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(10-15-2022, 10:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote: OK, so who are the WRDSB candidates best positioned to defeat these bigots? I don't have any real agenda for schools but these people should not be on the school board.

I disagree with your assessment. I’m voting for them

A fair point, we all have our own opinions.

So, I'll revise my statement to "I personally don't think these people should be on the school board." And I will be voting accordingly.

(10-22-2022, 01:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-21-2022, 08:20 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: I disagree with your assessment. I’m voting for them

So, I'll revise my statement to "I personally don't think these people should be on the school board." And I will be voting accordingly.

Lemme be perfectly blunt...some opinions are better than other opinions.
(10-22-2022, 01:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-21-2022, 08:20 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: I disagree with your assessment. I’m voting for them

That’s respectable
Anyone have a list of progressive Region of Waterloo councillor candidates? I'm having trouble filling out my 4.
(10-23-2022, 04:18 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Anyone have a list of progressive Region of Waterloo councillor candidates? I'm having trouble filling out my 4.

I think Colleen James and Matt Rodrigues would be amazing regional councillors! For the other 2 spots, I'm less certain but am considering Michael Parkinson, Kari Williams, and Rob Deutschmann. I do like to remind folks that although you can vote for up to four candidates for regional council, you don't have to vote for four. You can vote for one or none even. That goes for all of the seats actually - just vote for the ones you feel confident enough are deserving of your vote.
(10-23-2022, 01:23 PM)D40LF Wrote: As a Kitchener resident looking for more progressive candidates, particularly those in support for higher density housing and enhanced transit and cycling infrastructure, who should I be leaning towards?

It depends which ward you're in, but here are some of my thoughts about who I believe is deserving of my vote (with a focus on ward 9 Kitchener). https://citified.substack.com/p/election-day-is-near

This Twitter thread may also be informative for regional council.
(10-23-2022, 04:18 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Anyone have a list of progressive Region of Waterloo councillor candidates? I'm having trouble filling out my 4.

My picks are Rodrigues, James, Parkinson, and Williams.

(10-23-2022, 09:40 PM)KevinL Wrote:

My picks are Rodrigues, James, Parkinson, and Williams.

I had 3 of those selected, looking into Rodrigues now.. thanks!
(10-23-2022, 10:46 PM)JoeKW Wrote:
(10-23-2022, 09:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: My picks are Rodrigues, James, Parkinson, and Williams.

I had 3 of those selected, looking into Rodrigues now.. thanks!

My list is the same, except with Deutschmann in place of Parkinson. My past interaction with Deutschmann through TriTAG was pretty positive, he seemed to get urban issues, and I see him as significantly more electable than Parkinson. That's not a factor for everyone, but I'm trying to ensure this election isn't won entirely by the more conservative candidates.

Mac Graham would be particularly terrible with his commitment to undoing the countryside line, though his personal advocacy would be unlikely to tilt the pro-intensification balance at council.
(10-23-2022, 07:13 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(10-23-2022, 01:23 PM)D40LF Wrote: As a Kitchener resident looking for more progressive candidates, particularly those in support for higher density housing and enhanced transit and cycling infrastructure, who should I be leaning towards?

It depends which ward you're in, but here are some of my thoughts about who I believe is deserving of my vote (with a focus on ward 9 Kitchener). https://citified.substack.com/p/election-day-is-near

Thanks Melissa, wish I could vote for you. Voting with you seems like the next best thing.
(10-24-2022, 10:31 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote:
(10-23-2022, 07:13 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote: It depends which ward you're in, but here are some of my thoughts about who I believe is deserving of my vote (with a focus on ward 9 Kitchener). https://citified.substack.com/p/election-day-is-near

Thanks Melissa, wish I could vote for you. Voting with you seems like the next best thing.

Aw, thanks so much!
I have to say I'm not surprised by any of the results of this election. Lots of incumbents, a few new faces. More of the same which is why I can't be bothered with local elections.
(10-25-2022, 07:14 AM)ac3r Wrote: I have to say I'm not surprised by any of the results of this election. Lots of incumbents, a few new faces. More of the same which is why I can't be bothered with local elections.

*blinks*....

You can't be bothered with local elections because you aren't happy with the election results?

Can you explain that to me.

I'm happy about how the region has turned out, and schoolboards appear to have rebuffed a hate campaign....but provincially, this is a disaster. Toronto and Ottawa both electing centre-right establishment pro-sprawl pro-car candidates. With the province backing these conservative mayors, the slow decline of these places will continue apace.

I mean, the election turnout reflects your position here, but it makes no sense. Toronto and Ottawa both had excellent progressive candidates with real plans for a better city and they were firmly rebuffed. The media deserves some blame, but honestly, the people of Ontario have earned this.

I'll be blunt, I am glad to have moved out of Ontario, but I'm not happy about it.

(10-25-2022, 07:14 AM)ac3r Wrote: I have to say I'm not surprised by any of the results of this election. Lots of incumbents, a few new faces. More of the same which is why I can't be bothered with local elections.

3 of the four Regional Councillors in Kitchener are new. Both Cambridge and Waterloo have new mayors.
Doug Craig is back with a vengeance in Cambridge (on Regional Council).
I'm glad that the Candidate I voted for in Kitchener Ward 5 won, he seemed to be most in line with what I wanted, a few other Candidates that I talked to seemed to either pander to stop development or were one issue Candidates, for instance the one wanted to install a Stop Sign on Huron Road and Ludolph street. That's all he talked about.
(10-25-2022, 08:48 AM)neonjoe Wrote:

3 of the four Regional Councillors in Kitchener are new. Both Cambridge and Waterloo have new mayors.
Doug Craig is back with a vengeance in Cambridge (on Regional Council).
I'm glad that the Candidate I voted for in Kitchener Ward 5 won, he seemed to be most in line with what I wanted, a few other Candidates that I talked to seemed to either pander to stop development or were one issue Candidates, for instance the one wanted to install a Stop Sign on Huron Road and Ludolph street. That's all he talked about.

Just to point out that Cambridge’s new mayor is the worst possible option of angry reactionary, and our new regional councillors are heavy status quo types. Big disappointment.
local cambridge weirdo
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »