Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
I presume the expectation will be that you're headed toward a GO stop or station on that journey, and if asked can confirm which route/trip you'll be taking. Yes, you could game it, but not overly easily.

(03-03-2022, 12:54 PM)KevinL Wrote: I presume the expectation will be that you're headed toward a GO stop or station on that journey, and if asked can confirm which route/trip you'll be taking. Yes, you could game it, but not overly easily.

The shameful thing is that this would probably not be policed nearly as aggressively as actual passengers on ION...

I'm so tired of this...
(03-03-2022, 12:38 AM)nms Wrote: Would the GRT fare simply be deducted from the price of the GO ticket?

That's how it works in the GTA, and how it would work here if we used Presto. The system recognizes the transfer, and discounts from the GO ticket.

Other posters are correct for how it works now, where you show your Presto card and ride for free. The discount only applies to train trips, so there was a plan at some point to install a device at the train station which you had to tap your EasyGo card to for a refund (and which presumably would cancel your transfer, to ensure you can't go any further on GRT). But in a world with 2WAD GO, that would basically make any trip to that area of DTK free for anyone willing to go tap there. Us adopting Presto is the only way to do it without fraud risk.
(03-03-2022, 01:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 12:54 PM)KevinL Wrote: I presume the expectation will be that you're headed toward a GO stop or station on that journey, and if asked can confirm which route/trip you'll be taking. Yes, you could game it, but not overly easily.

The shameful thing is that this would probably not be policed nearly as aggressively as actual passengers on ION...

I'm so tired of this...

This has been in effect for years. All that's changed is the discount amount (it used to be only a partial credit of GRT fare). I haven't seen any complaints of excessive enforcement.

GRT gets reimbursed by Metrolinx for the forgone fare, so there isn't really any local incentive to aggressively enforce.
(03-03-2022, 01:21 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 01:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The shameful thing is that this would probably not be policed nearly as aggressively as actual passengers on ION...

I'm so tired of this...

This has been in effect for years. All that's changed is the discount amount (it used to be only a partial credit of GRT fare). I haven't seen any complaints of excessive enforcement.

GRT gets reimbursed by Metrolinx for the forgone fare, so there isn't really any local incentive to aggressively enforce.

No no, I wasn't meaning that the GO discount would be policed...of course it wouldn't be...

My point was that they WOULDN'T police GO the same way they police GRT in general BECAUSE GO transit riders are almost exclusively upper middle class.
If I remember correctly, for the "original" version of this were it was only 50¢ or something, you tapped your linked EasyGO card on the Presto terminal immediately after tapping off the train your Presto card. That would put a flag on your EasyGo card so that when you tapped on to a GRT bus with it you would only get charges $2.36 instead of $2.86.

Am I misremembering?

Assuming that I am not, then this process would still be the same and you don't merely show you Presto card and get on free. You still gotta tap on the fare box or the toll pole. As such it wouldn't be subject to they abuse that people are describing above.
It's too bad we didn't end up getting Presto, because EasyGO sucks and now that we have it, Presto can't apply to take over (well, perhaps they could, but it would be a nightmare to transition). It would be so much easier to just have one card for a multitude of Southern Ontario transportation systems instead of relying on a wallet full of different cards.

(03-03-2022, 09:52 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's too bad we didn't end up getting Presto, because EasyGO sucks and now that we have it, Presto can't apply to take over (well, perhaps they could, but it would be a nightmare to transition). It would be so much easier to just have one card for a multitude of Southern Ontario transportation systems instead of relying on a wallet full of different cards.

In what way does EasyGo suck? I have never had any trouble with it.
(03-03-2022, 09:52 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's too bad we didn't end up getting Presto, because EasyGO sucks and now that we have it, Presto can't apply to take over (well, perhaps they could, but it would be a nightmare to transition). It would be so much easier to just have one card for a multitude of Southern Ontario transportation systems instead of relying on a wallet full of different cards.

Yes, it's convenient, but it also seems to be problematic and expensive.
(03-03-2022, 10:20 PM)Acitta Wrote:

I find my card fails to read a lot of the time. I'll often get an error message on the little pillars at the LRT stops or on buses. Perhaps it's just my card or something, but it's rather annoying. The fare kiosks are also pretty slow as well or have issues with payments, particularly when it comes to using the tap method. It'll often fail to work, so then you need to insert the card which for some reason is always sooooo slow at processing payment compared to tapping.

I guess it works most of the time and serves its purpose, but it'd be much simpler to have Presto since there are 11 other systems in the province already using it.
Better yet an app... use your phone
(03-03-2022, 10:20 PM)Acitta Wrote:

I mean we've been through this before.

The hardware is garbage, it fails very frequently.

The website is garbage, the UX is an outright disaster, the backend pretty seriously at the beginning.

Since the beginning things have improved, the service backend has not had a complete failure like we saw at the beginning, transient failures have improved. The hardware is still garbage, (remember at one point, so many units were broken, that they didn't have enough spares to swap in working units at all the LRT stations), but with a more reliable backend, it seems to be online more often. The website UX is still utter garbage.

So things are better, but we spent a lot of money, and went through a lot of pain in order to have a system which isn't compatible with the rest of the province.

Just one in a long line of bad decisions our government (and staff) has made.
(03-04-2022, 12:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: So things are better, but we spent a lot of money, and went through a lot of pain in order to have a system which isn't compatible with the rest of the province.

Just one in a long line of bad decisions our government (and staff) has made.

Given that Presto not only did not bid on RFP, they also outright refused to add the features that GRT required even if the Region had paid them, I'm confused as to why people still think it was some huge debacle that we don't have Presto.

Not to mention that every Presto installation has had their own significant issues, usually far worse than what we went through with EasyGO.

(03-04-2022, 12:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The hardware is still garbage, (remember at one point, so many units were broken, that they didn't have enough spares to swap in working units at all the LRT stations)

A lot of of the hardware is the same hardware Presto uses. EasyGo and Presto use slightly different models of fare vending machines, but they're from the same series by the same vendor. Presto also uses the same tap poles as ION stations for some of the GO/UPX stations. Presto doesn't have a combo cash/tap fare box, because Presto doesn't handle cash fares anywhere (which is a huge weakness of the system).

(03-04-2022, 02:26 PM)Bytor Wrote: I'm confused as to why people still think it was some huge debacle that we don't have Presto.

Not to mention that every Presto installation has had their own significant issues, usually far worse than what we went through with EasyGO.

I think the question is one of value of integration with the rest of the province. Presto would have been individually worse for us in some ways, but there's significant value in being the same as the rest of the province. GO/GRT fare integration should be seamless, but it never will be as long as we're not on Presto.

You are correct though that every Presto rollout has had major issues. I think EasyGo had about an average number of problems for a fare card rollout, and I'm benchmarking not just against Presto but against other systems elsewhere in the world. The rollouts are generally terrible for the same reasons all rollouts of enterprise software are generally terrible.
(03-03-2022, 10:18 AM)timio Wrote: My understanding is you just show your Presto card and they let you board.  For multi-bus trips to get to the station, I'm assuming they'd give you a transfer?

My cynical view on this is that I could just board any bus with my Presto card and get free transit anywhere in the region. I'm hoping they have safeguards to keep people from doing this, but it's hard when you're not on a route that directly connects to the GO station.

I thought it was that you had to tap your linked EasyGO card on the Presto terminal after tapping your Presto card (GO is tap on and off, variable fares), and then you needed to tap on to a GRT bus or ION. I don;t remember there being a local discount when transferring to GO, only from.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »