Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
459 Mill St | 15, 21, 31, 40 and 44 fl | Proposed
There won't be a lot of nimbys there. Most people in that area rent..

Plus a large portion of the area is industrial. I think they can get it to work.
(02-28-2023, 07:32 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: There won't be a lot of nimbys there.  Most people in that area rent..

I wouldn't have said so.  Pattandon, for example is mostly owner-occupied.  I would have thought it was similar wrt SFHs on the other side of Mill.  Of course there are also rental buildings mixed in throughout the area.
Many of the single dwelling homes are rentals too. I know people in the area. I just dont think you are going to get a lot of push back from this area. People are too busy working and trying to make ends meet than worry about a new building.
I don't think there's an active anti-progress group like the VPNA for that neighbourhood.
I guess we'll just have to see. I'm a cynic by nature, so until I see the words Approved then I never have any serious expectations. We're talking about a bunch of skyscrapers in the middle of a low rise neighbourhood in Kitchener here. Even without a neighbourhood association, there is likely to be some pushback.

One thing is that renters can also be NIMBYs because projects like this illustrate the land values of an area. When you rent, the last thing you want to start seeing are skyscrapers going up on the next block because that means whoever they rent from might consider selling to developers to cash in. Unless what replaces something going to be affordable to the people that currently live in any given neighbourhood, it's very unfair.

I want to see it approved, though. It looks great. And if it's a success, the developer plans to expand it by purchasing the property east of Delta Elevator and building 2 additional towers.
(02-28-2023, 07:27 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Under the link the sections titled ‘new’ is the updated submission with the new floor count

Sure. And that's the section where the other set of tower heights (which I posted) are, too. There is an inconsistency there, and I don't know which is correct.

(02-28-2023, 04:07 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Won't anyone think of the traffic! :S haha
I like the vision, but I am sure we will not see a 44 storey tower built. As much development the region has seen thanks to the LRT, we have yet to see a major multi tower proposal like this next to one of the 19 LRT stops. Station park would count i guess. I am surprised that the owners of the 2 malls haven't not been more aggressive at building mixed-use masterplans in the sea of parking they own. Pretty much ever mall in toronto is building redeveloped, even if its not close to transit.

I think you might see it at Fairview Park Mall at some point since they have a really large parking lot and easy street access. I can't see it at Conestoga Mall simply because their parking lot is tiny in comparison (Fairview has 3,500 and Conestoga has 1,950).
The Grand Marked District proposal did involve replacing a lot of the surface parking at CF Fairview Park but I fear that is dead.
Not dead, just moving slowly. There are still plans to build that parking garage, which I think was also going to have some restaurant space on the ground floor? They also still want to build that separate building that would house offices space and a small amount of retail. They also have plans for some condo towers on the property (fronting Kingsway) but I suspect that will be a long time away and would really depend on whether it makes financial sense for them (though with so many new people moving to Canada, I don't expect to see a sudden drop in demand for residential units).
(03-01-2023, 02:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: Not dead, just moving slowly. There are still plans to build that parking garage, which I think was also going to have some restaurant space on the ground floor? They also still want to build that separate building that would house offices space and a small amount of retail. They also have plans for some condo towers on the property (fronting Kingsway) but I suspect that will be a long time away and would really depend on whether it makes financial sense for them (though with so many new people moving to Canada, I don't expect to see a sudden drop in demand for residential units).

The Grand Market district is easily the worst mall redevelopment plan in the country. I don't expect an Oakridge level of Redevelopment at our malls, but I am really surprised we are not seeing masterplan's for the malls similar to Cloverdale mall or even Fairview Mall in toronto.
Staff is recommending approval on this new application. Council is voting on April 24th
(04-14-2023, 02:15 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Staff is recommending approval on this new application. Council is voting on April 24th

Guarantee that some councillors will vote against, for various reasons. Hopefully no tribunal for this, but who the hell knows, the city likes wasting money on lawyers.

(04-14-2023, 08:56 PM)jeffster Wrote: Guarantee that some councillor

[Image: 4ydQiey.jpg]
(04-14-2023, 02:15 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Staff is recommending approval on this new application. Council is voting on April 24th

Has there been any active opposition from any quarter, to date?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »