Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Inclusionary Zoning: Public meeting takes place in Kitchener on Jan. 29

We have an update on the Exploring Inclusionary Zoning to Support Affordable Housing initiative.

A public meeting is being held by Kitchener City Council to hear comments about proposed Inclusionary Zoning amendments to the City of Kitchener’s Official Plan and Zoning By-law.

Date: Monday, January 29, 2024

Time: To be determined (will be included in the committee agenda, posted 10 days prior to the meeting)

Location, in-person: Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, Kitchener City Hall (200 King Street West)

Location, virtual: Zoom (link will be in the committee agenda)

The staff report and proposed amendment will be contained in the agenda, available approximately 10 days prior to the meeting. To see the agenda and report once they are available, visit calendar.kitchener.ca/council

If you would like to speak at the public meeting, please register in advance at: kitchener.ca/delegations. You may also call the City Clerk’s Office at 519-741-2200

About Inclusionary Zoning
Inclusionary zoning would require developers to include up to 5% affordable units within new, multi-unit housing developments. This would apply around ION stations.

The proposed Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments would:

Apply to all new residential developments in Protected Major Transit Station Areas where 50 or more dwelling units are

(01-05-2024, 11:27 AM)Acitta Wrote: Inclusionary Zoning: Public meeting takes place in Kitchener on Jan. 29

We have an update on the Exploring Inclusionary Zoning to Support Affordable Housing initiative.

A public meeting is being held by Kitchener City Council to hear comments about proposed Inclusionary Zoning amendments to the City of Kitchener’s Official Plan and Zoning By-law.

Date: Monday, January 29, 2024

Time: To be determined (will be included in the committee agenda, posted 10 days prior to the meeting)

Location, in-person: Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, Kitchener City Hall (200 King Street West)

Location, virtual: Zoom (link will be in the committee agenda)

The staff report and proposed amendment will be contained in the agenda, available approximately 10 days prior to the meeting. To see the agenda and report once they are available, visit calendar.kitchener.ca/council

If you would like to speak at the public meeting, please register in advance at: kitchener.ca/delegations. You may also call the City Clerk’s Office at 519-741-2200

About Inclusionary Zoning
Inclusionary zoning would require developers to include up to 5% affordable units within new, multi-unit housing developments. This would apply around ION stations.

Apply to all new residential developments in Protected Major Transit Station Areas where 50 or more dwelling units are

I look forward to the Region making another decision to add costs to an industry that’s loaded with costs and also neglecting to check any other city where this has been tried!
local cambridge weirdo
It's kinda weird that the Engage Kitchener page for this has a photo from Waterloo. ;-)
(01-05-2024, 11:27 AM)Acitta Wrote: About Inclusionary Zoning

Why not apply this to new SFH subdivisions as well?
(01-05-2024, 06:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-05-2024, 11:27 AM)Acitta Wrote: About Inclusionary Zoning

Why not apply this to new SFH subdivisions as well?

I had wondered exactly the same and reached out to city staff. Here's a couple responses pasted together:

In Ontario, the Planning Act limits IZ to Protected Major Transit Station Areas and development of 10 units or more.  The original iteration made it possible city-wide, but 2019 amendments to the planning act limited it to PMTSAs only. Other jurisdictions apply IZ to more suburban contexts. IZ started in Montgomery County Maryland when all they were building was single detached.  It was seen as a counterpoint the exclusionary zoning that enabled that. Hence the name.
And...
Kitchener council (on staff advice) has advocated to the province to re-instate IZ city-wide (once or twice).

On the mandate front : no, IZ is the only tool

There are several sections in the ROP and KOP that encourage affordable housings.

In the KOP 4.C.1.16-22 are most relevant.

Regional section 3.A is new and has some new good stuff.

Eg.        requiring 30% multiples on all application >2ha is an attempt at affordability through range max (acknowledging that new singles will be unaffordable to almost everybody)
(01-05-2024, 07:56 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote: And ... Kitchener council (on staff advice) has advocated to the province to re-instate IZ city-wide (once or twice).

On the mandate front : no, IZ is the only tool

There are several sections in the ROP and KOP that encourage affordable housings. In the KOP 4.C.1.16-22 are most relevant.

E.g. requiring 30% multiples on all application >2ha is an attempt at affordability through range max (acknowledging that new singles will be unaffordable to almost everybody)

Thanks, Melissa, that was great, I had not looked at it before. I do like the 30% multi-residential rule for two-hectare (about 5 acres) subdivisions and larger, although the plan does include the weasel words "where appropriate" so the city would be able to do selective enforcement of this policy, if they so choose.

4.C.1.17 is deferred (and thus is not in effect), although I couldn't find when or why that section was deferred.

The old CTV building has a sold sign on it.

Last year there was marketing material conceptualizing a 37 floor tower here. The property ownership now states ‘King Pine Kitchener inc’

So unsure if this is one of the locals/regular developers
I'll be the bearer of bad news and say...don't get too excited haha. I have nothing to do with it but I'm familiar with some of the details.
(01-20-2024, 10:13 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Last year there was marketing material conceptualizing a 37 floor tower here. The property ownership now states ‘King Pine Kitchener inc’

So unsure if this is one of the locals/regular developers

It's another Vive project, so don't expect anything to happen here for years especially with the amount of stuff they have in the pipeline.
    They have finally demolished the building at Courtland and Stirling that collapsed in the summer.
Thanks, I was wondering what was going on there. Seemed like a potentially dangerous situation.
I think there is a thread for this property already since there have been numerous plans for projects here however I can't find it (MyBB search is so bad) but at 47 Charles East they are now proposing a 10 and 7 floor building to build 172 affordable and supportive housing units. There is also a proposal for commercial space on the ground floor, which would likely be occupied by various social services. This would be part of the House of Friendship which already operates various housing buildings and supportive services on this block.

This is great news and I hope they can acquire the funding for it. I think the main issue that has made any significant progress on the proposals for this specific block have been financial.

(02-23-2024, 08:52 PM)ac3r Wrote: I think there is a thread for this property already since there have been numerous plans for projects here however I can't find it (MyBB search is so bad) but at 47 Charles East they are now proposing a 10 and 7 floor building to build 172 affordable and supportive housing units. There is also a proposal for commercial space on the ground floor, which would likely be occupied by various social services. This would be part of the House of Friendship which already operates various housing buildings and supportive services on this block.

This is great news and I hope they can acquire the funding for it. I think the main issue that has made any significant progress on the proposals for this specific block have been financial.

Search for "Friendship" and you shall find. (Or "Charles" in the subject line only.)
https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1751&highlight=friendship
I noticed that they did some drilling here last week. Maybe a future development?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4536952,-...?entry=ttu
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »