Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Lots to report from just a short stretch - Benton to Ontario.

First, molds are off the Queen platform:

[Image: 4TqdoYA.jpg]

[Image: m5ogXlM.jpg]

Spotted these low, skinny utility boxes on two sides of the Queen intersection. Anyone know their purpose?

[Image: gSftkql.jpg]

[Image: C12w5xK.jpg]

And lastly, the parking lot retaining wall is essentially done:

[Image: xG51RjG.jpg][img]blob:http://imgur.com/7e170348-02b6-42a0-beda-605b50d68546[/img]

1/2 - Monday, September 12, 2016

Sidewalks have gone in on King St. in Uptown Waterloo.

I guess I'm not going to get my dream of watching LRV's fly through Waterloo Park at top speed.  Sad  Very disappointed about this.

Checking out what's going on at Seagram.

Saw lost of people making their own crossing through the unfinished crossing at the South end of the platform.
2/2 - Monday, September 12, 2016

Working on the gauntlet track - replacing the asphalt with deck plates.  In the background, the pedestrian bridge is being brought back over.

The gentleman I talked to said they've been replacing the pedestrian bridge each night.  When I asked what they were up to, he told me "Well, I can't tell you that."

Erb/Caroline.
(09-12-2016, 08:18 PM)KevinL Wrote: Spotted these low, skinny utility boxes on two sides of the Queen intersection. Anyone know their purpose?

They're for the hardware for the redundant inductive loops which check-in/check-out the trains as they pass through the intersection for transit signal priority.
(09-12-2016, 08:18 PM)KevinL Wrote: And lastly, the parking lot retaining wall is essentially done:

[Image: xG51RjG.jpg]

Nice stairs! Big Grin
Yeah, those stairs are amazing!
Compared to what was there before, these are indeed amazing. Wink

(09-12-2016, 08:20 PM)Canard Wrote: The gentleman I talked to said they've been replacing the pedestrian bridge each night.  When I asked what they were up to, he told me "Well, I can't tell you that."

Uhhhh???????? Why not? What could they possibly be keeping under wraps? Good to see the gauntlet track getting deck plates though.

(09-12-2016, 08:22 PM)Canard Wrote:
(09-12-2016, 08:18 PM)KevinL Wrote: Spotted these low, skinny utility boxes on two sides of the Queen intersection. Anyone know their purpose?
[Image: C12w5xK.jpg]

They're for the hardware for the redundant inductive loops which check-in/check-out the trains as they pass through the intersection for transit signal priority.

Geez, these couldn't be buried or anything? This photo in particular just looks... ugh. A wall of assorted utility boxes and poles blocking pedestrians from crossing the intersection. I know the cross walks are on either side of this "wall", but still.
I love history stories like this one : http://www.therecord.com/living-story/68...ory-again/
(09-12-2016, 08:22 PM)Canard Wrote:

Why can't they use the Regions traffic signal priority technology that EMS/Fire uses?
It does, as a primary system (or something like that - wireless). Redundant loops are required for safety, and require wiring and an additional control cabinet.
I wouldn't be surprised if the guy was pulling your leg. Go back and ask someone else
King and Victoria saw a good deal of late night work last night. Flashes from welding were splashing across the King St faces of 1Vic and Kaufman until at least midnight. It's looking ready for a NB track embed soon.

(09-13-2016, 08:16 AM)timio Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if the guy was pulling your leg.  Go back and ask someone else

I spoke with the OnTrack Safety guy stationed in a truck before the "ROAD CLOSED" sign. It was very much a serious response and very much a canned "This is what I'm supposed to say so I don't get in trouble" kind of thing. Once he realized I knew more about what they were actually doing than he did, he just said as much ("I'm really not sure exactly what they're doing. Something with the tracks at the crossing, I guess.").
It seems a gas main has been breached at King and Frederick. Market Square is currently evacuated.

Update: seems to be fixed to some degree, people are going back in.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »