Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
You forgot trios college, although like Goodlife and the new Service Canada office, that could be located anywhere.

I wonder how many square feet the Stantec offices occupy/occupied?
(03-10-2015, 10:05 PM)Lens Wrote: When does it become more attractive to raze the whole thing and add some serious density to the block?

Always... ah you mean commercially instead of aesthetically? Good question. I guess it depends on how hard is to buy out of their contract GoodLife and the Record.
I imagine Market Square could come down without disturbing the portion now occupied by The Record. It took them so long to come back Downtown, I'd be nervous about seeing them disrupted.
What about Trios College, they seem to have a large footprint? (sorry missed the next page) the record like the service center could go anywhere as stated above but finding a place at the moment for the gym is kinda hard. Now if there were a firm timeline for the potential development for the parking lot to the west that would be a good fit?
That building is pretty poorly laid out inside. As far as malls go, it is the worst in this region. The big thing it brings is parking, however that lot is pretty darn ugly. The top floor has a high fence with barbed wire on the top. It looks like a prison from a distance.

Did Kitchener have problems with people jumping to their deaths from the top of the Market Square Parkade? I have never seen a fenced in roof area like that before. It is weird.
(03-10-2015, 11:32 PM)Drake Wrote: That building is pretty poorly laid out inside. As far as malls go, it is the worst in this region. The big thing it brings is parking, however that lot is pretty darn ugly. The top floor has a high fence with barbed wire on the top. It looks like a prison from a distance.

Did Kitchener have problems with people jumping to their deaths from the top of the Market Square Parkade? I have never seen a fenced in roof area like that before. It is weird.

There was a problem with people threatening to jump.  I can't recall if anyone ever did.  I so wish that the Duke St side of the parking garage could be clad in some way to make it less unsightly.

Come to think of it, I don't recall the Duke St garage ever having that problem.  I wonder why the difference?

(03-10-2015, 11:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Come to think of it, I don't recall the Duke St garage ever having that problem.  I wonder why the difference?
A retail mall is going to have a harder time living down a suicide than a single-purpose parking garage.
(03-10-2015, 11:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-10-2015, 11:32 PM)Drake Wrote: That building is pretty poorly laid out inside. As far as malls go, it is the worst in this region. The big thing it brings is parking, however that lot is pretty darn ugly. The top floor has a high fence with barbed wire on the top. It looks like a prison from a distance.

There was a problem with people threatening to jump.  I can't recall if anyone ever did.  I so wish that the Duke St side of the parking garage could be clad in some way to make it less unsightly.

Come to think of it, I don't recall the Duke St garage ever having that problem.  I wonder why the difference?

At least one person did, maybe two.
Two houses have come down on Ottawa St N. at Rosedale (across from the old Eastwood Plaza). Has anyone heard any news of what is planned for that site? It is next to the parking lot of the Mennonite Bretheren Church, but I can't imagine that the church has taken the site for more parking (at least I hope not!).
The building permits for the demolition show the contractor as ED PENNER :KITCHENER MENNONITE BRETHREN CHURCH.
A new, large format, T&T style supermarket is coming to Kitchener (King & Ottawa)

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5516...tors-site/
The MacIntosh Dry Cleaners on Victoria St S. is closing, according to today's D'Amato column in the Record. That building must be saved! Does anyone know if it has a heritage designation?

On a practical note, I'd really like to see Newtex fill the gap by opening a small "drop off/pick up" location downtown. Even if people are doing less dry cleaning that before, it seems silly to need to get in a car every time you want to go to the cleaners.

I believe it's on the heritage register
I'm glad to hear it - I have a soft spot for Vitrolite cladding.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »