Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Election Results Discussion
Soooo who's ready to do it all over again tonight?

(10-23-2018, 01:26 PM)Spokes Wrote: Soooo who's ready to do it all over again tonight?

I  caught the Regional Chair preliminary results from Waterloo and Kitchener before they were taken down (Karen Redman was winning by over 50% in both) so I certainly won't be holding my breath.
Does anyone have the link to the fivethirtyeight survey results handy? I am curious how it compares to reality and I can't for the life of me find it again.
(10-23-2018, 04:51 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: Does anyone have the link to the fivethirtyeight survey results handy? I am curious how it compares to reality and I can't for the life of me find it again.

This one?
https://threehundredthirtyeight.com/kare...chair-race
Results are coming in for Regional Chair!
(10-23-2018, 08:16 PM)Canard Wrote: Results are coming in for Regional Chair!

Currently leading: Karen Redman by a landslide.
Not surprised seeing the "leaked" results from last night. Only one left to be posted is wellesley and Karen Redmond is up by 45,000 votes. Now does wellesley have that many voters?

On the flip side, Jay Aisa may come in last with only 9400 votes so far.

Looks like it was impossible for her to lose the Chair today
Aissa doesn't surprise me. Think about it. All of his support before was the anti-LRT crowd. Now he's flip flopped on that and pissed that crowd off. Everyone else still remembers four years ago. So who's left?
(10-23-2018, 08:33 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Not surprised seeing the "leaked" results from last night. Only one left to be posted is wellesley and Karen Redmond is up by 45,000 votes. Now does wellesley have that many voters?

They weren't really leaked it was the City of Waterloo clerks office who missed a call from the Region to not publish the chair results. Though I'm definitely not surprised by the landslide.
(10-23-2018, 08:38 PM)Spokes Wrote: Aissa doesn't surprise me.  Think about it.  All of his support before was the anti-LRT crowd.  Now he's flip flopped on that and pissed that crowd off.  Everyone else still remembers four years ago.  So who's left?

I was thinking about that the other day. It seems like this time he was trying to be a reasonable candidate. But the problem is that after last election’s performance, reasonable people who remember will not vote for him: either that was his authentic self, in which case we don’t need another Trump/Ford, or it was an act, in which case who knows what his real self is other than that it is clearly duplicitous. Either way, he’s not suitable.
(10-23-2018, 08:33 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Not surprised seeing the "leaked" results from last night. Only one left to be posted is wellesley and Karen Redmond is up by 45,000 votes. Now does wellesley have that many voters?

Wellesley has a population of 12000, and not all of them are eligible to vote.
Wellesley has finally let us know they are done voting.

Redman wins

(10-23-2018, 08:38 PM)Spokes Wrote: Aissa doesn't surprise me.  Think about it.  All of his support before was the anti-LRT crowd.  Now he's flip flopped on that and pissed that crowd off.  Everyone else still remembers four years ago.  So who's left?

I am enjoying the schadenfreude how Jay got fewer votes than the candidate with the shadow of a past wife-beating accusation over him.
(10-22-2018, 11:07 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 11:03 PM)Spokes Wrote: Sell me on her, because there was just something about her, I just had trouble getting on board with.

Same with me.

Both Tenille and Rami seemed to me to have the most in depth knowledge of a lot of issues compared to other candidates who had more generic & vague answers, although I'd say both of them have strong personalities which may rub people the wrong way -- I know one friend who had a gut reaction against Tenille and another who had a rather disenchanted "oh, her" response when she was told of Tenille's former CBC radio columnist spot. Someone said to me early on that they thought Tenille was bringing up the Grand Porch Party too often, but she was able to mention other groups and committees she'd been a part of; during the debates the number of times the porch party was mentioned wouldn't have been enough for a good drinking game.

For more progressive types, Tenille was the one to bring up municipal sidewalk clearing as well as the missing middle in development & zoning -- so hopefully we could see some progressive voting decisions from her. I'm not really thinking of much else off the top of my head, but there were a few times in the debates when she brought up things that are on the more progressive side of city planning, urban design, evidence-based policy and less NIMBY sounding. Generally the other candidates seem less likely to champion new ideas.

We'll see how this holds up over the next four years. Uptown has the C.O.R.E. group that has been good for some things but sometimes sounds quite conservative a lot of the time, so we'll see how that plays out.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »