Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One Victoria | 63 m | 19 fl | Complete
(03-15-2015, 11:43 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(03-13-2015, 10:05 PM)Drake Wrote: I wonder how much the owner of Ziggy's will get for his property when he decides to cash in.

Same question for the U-Haul place.

Same thing if the city decides to sell that lot on the corner too.  Although I don't remember that being one of the lots they were thinking of selling.

(03-16-2015, 09:23 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I keep hearing that U-Haul will never cash in core locations, stories of a location in NYC that'd be worth 8 figures easily that they still keep. I'd be happily wrong for the sake of that corner, but I also don't want to require folks needing to move on their own to travel out to the end of Victoria, or be stuck with the one U-Haul their semi-local provider has around back.
I'm pretty sure that story persists simply because of that Manhattan location. There are good reasons for them to keep that one. If they cashed out, U-Haul would basically be moving off the island. There is simply no where else to move.

In Kitchener, there are ample alternate locations that are not that far away, which will let them cash in on being a block from the Hub. The land purchase for the Hub basically set a precedent of $3M/acre in downtown, but once it's built, there will almost certainly be a big premium right next to it.
[Image: 16617186597_d7c1232d74_b.jpg]Winter Construction by Matt M S, on Flickr
There might/will be 2 Starbucks locations in Downtown, There is a link to a rendering for the facelift of Mayfair Hotel on the Mayfair Hotel coloumn, it shows a Starbucks on the ground floor. (I tried to quote Midtowners post about Downtown being able to Support at least 2 locations but I can't figure out how to use the quote setting)
I really like the colour of brick they're using. Very unique.
(03-21-2015, 09:57 AM)Spokes Wrote: I really like the colour of brick they're using.  Very unique.

I mentioned that a couple of weeks ago - it is a colour, with variations, that I have not seen before.  I think it is going to fit in very well with the "industrial" style in that part of town.  The One Victoria brick is much more appealing than the flat grey tone of the brick used for the new Beer Store, for example. 
(03-20-2015, 10:27 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: There might/will be 2 Starbucks locations in Downtown, There is a link to a rendering for the facelift of Mayfair Hotel on the Mayfair Hotel coloumn, it shows a Starbucks on the ground floor. (I tried to quote Midtowners post about Downtown being able to Support at least 2 locations but I can't figure out how to use the quote setting)

Showing recognizable tenants in prospective drawings is how you help visualize the ambiance and use. In almost no case does it represent anything established. Starbucks could open locations Downtown, but neither of these depictions is an interpretation of fact, unless it can be found elsewhere.

It has been a long time since anything has been heard about the Mayfair proposal.....
(03-23-2015, 07:08 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Showing recognizable tenants in prospective drawings is how you help visualize the ambiance and use. In almost no case does it represent anything established. Starbucks could open locations Downtown, but neither of these depictions is an interpretation of fact, unless it can be found elsewhere.

You should see the reaction on Urban Toronto whenever a developer puts an Apple logo on a storefront in a render. They go on for pages with rabid speculation.
That's good to know, I didn't know developers were allowed to use recognizable logos unless the place was opening there.
"Allowed"? No.
"Do anyway"? Yes.

If anyone truly cared enough, they could bring it to the attention of the trademark holder, who would eventually send out a Cease & Desist. I think I've seen it before where a rendering quietly changes from a brand name to a generic name.
(03-23-2015, 05:44 PM)Markster Wrote: "Allowed"? No.
"Do anyway"? Yes.

I thought this could well be the case which is why I prefaced my comment about the Starbucks logo in the 1 Victoria literature with "For what it's worth".
(03-23-2015, 08:17 PM)BrianT Wrote:
(03-23-2015, 05:51 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: I thought this could well be the case which is why I prefaced my comment about the Starbucks logo in the 1 Victoria literature with "For what it's worth".

The developer, Momentum Developments, told me personally that there is a Starbucks going in at 1 Victoria. I even received a Starbucks card from them for Christmas.  I am certainly convinced that there will be a Starbucks at this location. There is also going to be a Scotiabank Smile  and a Condo Culture Store. 

Oh, yes, I do not doubt you have better sources. I was just commenting on the quality of mine. Smile

I am thinking there will inevitably be a Starbucks at the train station/mall across the street as well. I look forward to getting all dolled up for my morning trip to the big smoke and being able to sit back and drink my sophisticated coffee while waiting to catch my train.. (which in my fantasy will deliver me in under 45 minutes).
(03-23-2015, 08:32 PM)Drake Wrote: I am thinking there will inevitably be a Starbucks at the train station/mall across the street as well. I look forward to getting all dolled up for my morning trip to the big smoke and being able to sit back and drink my sophisticated coffee while waiting to catch my train.. (which in my fantasy will deliver me in under 45 minutes).

Starbucks = sophisticated...?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »