Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-08-2015, 01:08 PM)ookpik Wrote:
Quote:...separate the public from the tracks in Waterloo Park. A rail safety association has ruled the fence is needed because of the light rail vehicles’ frequency, said regional staff.

Why does the public need to be separated from the LRT in Waterloo Park and not along the entire 19km route?

And why does it have to be a fence, let alone of the 6' high, unclimbable variety? Perhaps some other form of separation like grading, a ditch/moat, etc. would accomplish the same objective without being so obtrusive and so ugly?

P.S. Is Jay Aissa's Jay Fencing a member of this "rail safety association"?  Tongue

Do we really need anything other than a 4 ft tall iron fence with periodic openings where people can safely cross to the other side?

Why do we even need that? The separation should be as subtle and unobtrusive as possible. Or perhaps it could add some interest to the divide, e.g. a "moat" with bridges where needed. (I'd imagine the park's geese and duck population would love that.)

If safety is an issue then separate the entire LRT route. But I doubt this is really a safety issue, the lobby group's hand-wringing notwithstanding. After all the frequency of trains through the park is the same as it is elsewhere on the route. I bet there's far more pedestrian traffic in need of "protection" along King St than along Waterloo Park.
This whole fence thing is ludicrous. Why not put up fences/barriers along all roadways and streets then? Surely the same arguments apply?
I always envisioned it as a hedge through Waterloo Park with gaps for pedestrian crossings at appropriate locations.

People are going to walk along the tracks regardless, at least make it look nice for those who choose to be smart about where they walk.
It makes no sense, Since freight trains shipping explosive combustible materials is considerd safe enough to go through the park without a fence, why is a fence "necessary" for the LRT ?
(04-08-2015, 02:48 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: It makes no sense, Since freight trains shipping  explosive combustible materials is considerd safe enough to go through the park without a fence, why is a fence "necessary" for the LRT ?

The article says "due to frequency of trains". I think it's one of those things that councils may be able to push back about though.
I think the depth varies. I have driven along this stretch last week and in some places it was a foot or so.

Pouring concrete seems to be a lot of work. I would have guessed it would have been easier to just pull them out back in the day.

(04-08-2015, 04:08 PM)plam Wrote: The article says "due to frequency of trains". I think it's one of those things that councils may be able to push back about though.
The frequency of freight trains is very small. I'd characterize it as negligible and insignificant. The frequency of LRTs along this track will be the same as on the rest of the double-tracked sections. So if fencing is required in Waterloo Park it should also be required everywhere else that's double-tracked. And as I said before there's going to be far more pedestrian traffic to "protect" along, say, King St than in the park. We need to stop this insanity (and waste of money.)
(04-08-2015, 04:52 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(04-08-2015, 04:08 PM)plam Wrote: The article says "due to frequency of trains". I think it's one of those things that councils may be able to push back about though.
The frequency of freight trains is very small. I'd characterize it as negligible and insignificant. The frequency of LRTs along this track will be the same as on the rest of the double-tracked sections. So if fencing is required in Waterloo Park it should also be required everywhere else that's double-tracked. And as I said before there's going to be far more pedestrian traffic to "protect" along, say, King St than in the park. We need to stop this insanity (and waste of money.)

Yep. Probably starts by writing to councillors.
What's more, between Laurel Creek and the trail crossing at the southern end of the parking lot Seagram station, Laurel creek is to the immediate west; there's no destinations on the other side of the west track that anyone would normally be walking to, that is unless people spend a lot of time in creek beds and wetlands.
That "ruling" seems ridiculous. Even the new multi-use spur trail only has a naturally landscaped buffer 1.0m of unmown grass and 1.0m of drainage swale (within the track envelope) separating the track and trail. There is more than 2.0 between the proposed LRT tracks and the trail. I guess all of Europe has it wrong.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(04-08-2015, 01:17 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Do we really need anything other than a 4 ft tall iron fence with periodic openings where people can safely cross to the other side?

No...

The report is absurd. I wonder if someone can pass the picture above to Melissa Durrell so that other city Councillors can see for themselves how ridiculous the call for a six foot fence is.

I'd be happy to email it to her - just PM me her address, I took this on our trip out West last year.

Edit - I found her on Twitter, so I "tweeted" my photo to her.
(04-08-2015, 09:34 PM)Canard Wrote: I'd be happy to email it to her - just PM me her address, I took this on our trip out West last year.

Edit - I found her on Twitter, so I "tweeted" my photo to her.

Hmm, that may or may not work. Contact info for all councillors and mayor of Waterloo: http://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/abo...ouncil.asp
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »