Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-31-2019, 03:41 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 03:06 PM)kalis0490 Wrote: Quote from CTV: "The LRT vehicle had about $40,000 in damage done to it"

There must be some internal damage

Could a coupler cost that much?

Out of curiosity, who pays for that? The van driver's insurance, I'd assume, because damn, I feel like a $40,000 payout is gonna raise their insurance cost by a pretty penny

Ontario has "No Fault" insurance in terms of who pays what, so RoW has to pay; and they have their own insurance pool. However, since the van driver was at fault, their insurance goes up, assuming they had it. Zero effect on RoW, as they're not at fault.

As for the exaggerated costs; I don't believe the damage is serious, however, the part that is destroyed isn't a dime a doze. And the vehicles would have to be given a full inspection to ensure everything is good.

I got rear-ended by a lady when I stopped for a school bus, you could hardly see any damage at all, but we took it in anyway, and total was $4,800. About $3,800 of the cost was labour. So I think the same applies here.

(05-31-2019, 10:47 PM)Acitta Wrote: I was out on my bike and hanging around Mill Station, Borden St. and Ottawa on Thursday after 8 PM and I timed trains going by at 15 minute intervals. Tonight, I was cycling along Duke St. just after 7 and saw a couple of trains pass by at about an 8 minute interval. I think that they are testing at service level frequency.

Yes. And the signs at the stations (showing the next trains' arrival times) appear to be accurate.

I see trains every 10-15 minutes (in each direction) when I'm out walking in the early mornings.
On a lighter note, I final snapped a better photo of the Kitchener Market art installation.

(06-01-2019, 01:02 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 03:41 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Out of curiosity, who pays for that? The van driver's insurance, I'd assume, because damn, I feel like a $40,000 payout is gonna raise their insurance cost by a pretty penny

Ontario has "No Fault" insurance in terms of who pays what, so RoW has to pay; and they have their own insurance pool.  However, since the van driver was at fault, their insurance goes up, assuming they had it. Zero effect on RoW, as they're not at fault.

As for the exaggerated costs; I don't believe the damage is serious, however, the part that is destroyed isn't a dime a doze. And the vehicles would have to be given a full inspection to ensure everything is good.

I got rear-ended by a lady when I stopped for a school bus, you could hardly see any damage at all, but we took it in anyway, and total was $4,800. About $3,800 of the cost was labour. So I think the same applies here.

The cost of the repairs is quoted at 40k, train bumpers are not the same as car bumpers...in that one is not mass produced.

As for "no fault", it simply means one goes to ones own insurer for coverage, I believe the insurers in the background settle up based on fault.
(06-01-2019, 01:02 AM)jeffster Wrote: Ontario has "No Fault" insurance in terms of who pays what, so RoW has to pay; and they have their own insurance pool.  However, since the van driver was at fault, their insurance goes up, assuming they had it. Zero effect on RoW, as they're not at fault.

The Region’s insurance is probably not vehicle insurance, however. I think this is more like a car going out of control and knocking over a fence, in terms of the legal framework that applies; it’s not a vehicle-on-vehicle collision from that standpoint. I doubt that the Region’s insurance will change as a result of this one occurrence; however in the event that multiple occurrences happen, it might affect their renewal. Unless, as suggested by somebody else, the driver’s insurance will pay the Region’s insurance behind the scenes.
Why would the Region be affected at all? ION is operated by Grandlinq.
(06-01-2019, 08:45 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 10:47 PM)Acitta Wrote: I was out on my bike and hanging around Mill Station, Borden St. and Ottawa on Thursday after 8 PM and I timed trains going by at 15 minute intervals. Tonight, I was cycling along Duke St. just after 7 and saw a couple of trains pass by at about an 8 minute interval. I think that they are testing at service level frequency.

Yes. And the signs at the stations (showing the next trains' arrival times) appear to be accurate.

I see trains every 10-15 minutes (in each direction) when I'm out walking in the early mornings.

The stations that I have looked at have 0 for arrival times. What stations have you seen accurate arrival times at?

Was waiting for one to go by at Bearinger and as soon as it cleared the road another zipped by the other way.
(06-01-2019, 11:23 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 08:45 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Yes. And the signs at the stations (showing the next trains' arrival times) appear to be accurate.

The stations that I have looked at have 0 for arrival times. What stations have you seen accurate arrival times at?

Borden Station (I think it's Borden? At the corner of Charles and Borden) showed 1 minute and 13 minutes just prior to train arrival. After the train left, it showed 11 and 21 minutes. I'm not sure what the schedule is, but it was definitely updating. I think this might have been early Thursday morning that I was observing this.
(06-01-2019, 11:03 AM)timc Wrote: Why would the Region be affected at all? ION is operated by Grandlinq.

Good point. I don’t know for sure, but probably I (and others) should have said Grandlinq, not the Region. But all the same points apply.
Who knows but I wouldn't be surprised if Grandlinq had minimal liability since these p3's always seem to put more risk on the public part of the partnership.
(06-01-2019, 10:41 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 01:02 AM)jeffster Wrote: Ontario has "No Fault" insurance in terms of who pays what, so RoW has to pay; and they have their own insurance pool.  However, since the van driver was at fault, their insurance goes up, assuming they had it. Zero effect on RoW, as they're not at fault.

The Region’s insurance is probably not vehicle insurance, however. I think this is more like a car going out of control and knocking over a fence, in terms of the legal framework that applies; it’s not a vehicle-on-vehicle collision from that standpoint. I doubt that the Region’s insurance will change as a result of this one occurrence; however in the event that multiple occurrences happen, it might affect their renewal. Unless, as suggested by somebody else, the driver’s insurance will pay the Region’s insurance behind the scenes.

Actually, I was thinking about this, and it's possible that the van drivers insurance may have to pay, as this might be considered property damage.

As for the regions insurance, it's a pooled insurance (so their own) involving the region, the 3 cities and 4 townships, and they all contribute. Whether or not they also have re-insurance, I have no idea, but it's a smart thing to have. But for $40,000, re-insurance wouldn't be involved.
(06-01-2019, 11:23 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 08:45 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Yes. And the signs at the stations (showing the next trains' arrival times) appear to be accurate.

The signs showed zeroes on Sunday, but today they seemed to be pretty accurate -- the trains were maybe one minute ahead of the times posted on the signs, at both Kitchener Market and Borden stations.

(06-03-2019, 07:49 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 11:23 AM)Acitta Wrote: The stations that I have looked at have 0 for arrival times. What stations have you seen accurate arrival times at?

The signs showed zeroes on Sunday, but today they seemed to be pretty accurate -- the trains were maybe one minute ahead of the times posted on the signs, at both Kitchener Market and Borden stations.

That is interesting. I just cycled up to Waterloo and checked all of the stations from Allen to Borden, except Frederick and City Hall and they all showed 0. Maybe they are still working out the kinks or are just testing during rush hours.
(06-03-2019, 12:31 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 07:49 AM)tomh009 Wrote: The signs showed zeroes on Sunday, but today they seemed to be pretty accurate -- the trains were maybe one minute ahead of the times posted on the signs, at both Kitchener Market and Borden stations.

That is interesting. I just cycled up to Waterloo and checked all of the stations from Allen to Borden, except Frederick and City Hall and they all showed 0. Maybe they are still working out the kinks or are just testing during rush hours.

It's possible that they running the software for the signs only in early mornings. I have no idea why that would be, but my observations of operational signs are all from before 7 AM.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »