Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
I've always thought this house on Water St (near Victoria, next to what I believe is a shelter of some sort) belonged to hoarders or similar — the windows were always broken and filled to the brim with thousands and thousands of books. Recently it's been cleared out and seems to be undergoing substantial expansion. Wondering if this will be some sort of commercial building now, seems like a lot of work to be putting into something that would be a residence, especially given the location.

[Image: VFFaJGj.jpg]

(10-08-2019, 04:44 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I've always thought this house on Water St (near Victoria, next to what I believe is a shelter of some sort)  belonged to hoarders or similar — the windows were always broken and filled to the brim with thousands and thousands of books. Recently it's been cleared out and seems to be undergoing substantial expansion. Wondering if this will be some sort of commercial building now, seems like a lot of work to be putting into something that would be a residence, especially given the location.

[Image: VFFaJGj.jpg]

I'm not completely sure but this might be a residence run by The Working Centre. https://www.theworkingcentre.org/21279-w...reet-house
(10-08-2019, 07:41 AM)kitborn Wrote: There are two houses going up at the corner of Pequegnat and Mansion Streets.

This is the info on these homes. I personally think the are out of place in the neighbourhood. 

http://oldberlinbrickworks.com/?fbclid=I...KhgAwCH6UY
That’s correct - a 9 bed residence for people with substance abuse issues, according to their website.
926-936 King St E has been sold. It's a decent-sized parcel well suited for redevelopment; whether that's in the new owner's plans remains to be seen. There has not yet been any LRT-driven development on the stretch from Cameron St to Ottawa St S.

^^ Forget about anything over 2 storeys in this area IMHO.
Even residential? Not sure why that would be. The site could carry a mid-rise quite nicely, istm.

Under the proposed zoning for the King East neighbourhood this area could be mixed use up to 8 storeys. Not 100% sure what the current zoning is, but I don't know why this would be zoned for anything different than Market Flats. The city really want to encourage redevelopment and residential along this part of King.
5-8 storeys with some retail on the ground level would be fantastic, I think. This would be the first step in starting to build momentum for this area. (A number of the properties between King and Charles are already owned by developers, many of them quite large, but I don't believe any projects have been announced.)
(10-28-2019, 11:04 AM)tomh009 Wrote: 5-8 storeys with some retail on the ground level would be fantastic, I think. This would be the first step in starting to build momentum for this area. (A number of the properties between King and Charles are already owned by developers, many of them quite large, but I don't believe any projects have been announced.)

That's what I'd expect too, and I think would fit perfectly
Mentioned briefly before Vive Development has been buying land in the Ottawa, and King St area.

https://www.orcharddesign.ca/development...f-renewal/
(10-28-2019, 08:54 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Mentioned briefly before Vive Development has been buying land in the Ottawa, and King St area.

https://www.orcharddesign.ca/development...f-renewal/

The total King-Ottawa-Charles-Borden block is roughly (pun intended!) four acres; it sounds like Vive has bought up roughly half the block. Between 926-936 and this block we would have a very good start for intensification for the east end.
(11-05-2019, 07:36 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: Anyone hear about this proposal? https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...gvpiyibgps
I like it. I live in the neighborhood and welcome more density. It is a desirable place to live in the city. I think it is the perfect location for a mid rise condo building. It's not that far from fredrick station. I personally don't see how the nieghbourhood would be against this project. It's not really in the single family part. I can see maybe the 2 houses across the street being concerned, but the step backs seem reasonable enough and the majority of the shadows would fall on the new police hq across the way.

(11-05-2019, 08:23 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 07:36 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: Anyone hear about this proposal? https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...gvpiyibgps
I like it. I live in the neighborhood and welcome more density. It is a desirable place to live in the city. I think it is the perfect location for a mid rise condo building. It's not that far from fredrick station. I personally don't see how the nieghbourhood would be against this project. It's not really in the single family part. I can see maybe the 2 houses across the street being concerned, but the step backs seem reasonable enough and the majority of the shadows would fall on the new police hq across the way.

It'll be other people like me with kids that go to Suddaby that will object. I think this area is perfect for redevelopment and have a soft spot for flatirons buildings, but it's the process of getting to the finished stage I don't love. I'll admit to this purely being personal though. I live in King East and work downtown and I'm getting burnt out with the construction. I don't expect it to stop just for me and I do look forward to the improvements to my neighbourhood.
(11-05-2019, 08:34 PM)BruceAshe Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:23 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I like it. I live in the neighborhood and welcome more density. It is a desirable place to live in the city. I think it is the perfect location for a mid rise condo building. It's not that far from fredrick station. I personally don't see how the nieghbourhood would be against this project. It's not really in the single family part. I can see maybe the 2 houses across the street being concerned, but the step backs seem reasonable enough and the majority of the shadows would fall on the new police hq across the way.

It'll be other people like me with kids that go to Suddaby that will object. I think this area is perfect for redevelopment and have a soft spot for flatirons buildings, but it's the process of getting to the finished stage I don't love. I'll admit to this purely being personal though. I live in King East and work downtown and I'm getting burnt out with the construction. I don't expect it to stop just for me and I do look forward to the improvements to my neighbourhood.

Describing that rendering as a "flatiron building" seems quite a stretch, no?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »