Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannabis shops in Waterloo Region
Based on the dates shown I imagine they'd need to be posted, until at least the deadline of submissions = July 11, 2020?

(06-30-2020, 07:05 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 06:52 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Does anyone know if the place across from city hall is going to be a cannabis retail location as well?

The notices are still posted but they are quite old now ...
Ah, ok. I never stopped to check for notices, just read the name while passing by. I figured it might just be a head shop popping up to replace the previous one a few units over.
(06-30-2020, 09:11 PM)embe Wrote: Based on the dates shown I imagine they'd need to be posted, until at least the deadline of submissions = July 11, 2020?

July is for the Bouteek notice on Queen St S. As I recall, the notices for Cannabist (on King St W, across from City Hall) had a deadline sometime in April.
(06-29-2020, 03:49 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: Oh, if you're getting for medicinal purposes and have a prescription so you can order from an online distributor I'd look into those options, but I'm unable to recommend any.  There may be a better or more consistent supply. I'd wager the folks at either retail location I've been to would have good recommendations for you though, they both have a variety of oils and edibles and drinkables (I have some tea bags I have yet to try, just out of sheer curiosity).

I have no Rx, my doctor doesn't believe in weed. I have used Herbal Dispatch before, but they're trying to get out of the 'grey market'. Not a big deal. I just need to make sure I can find good stuff. I found this high concentrate that just a little dab on a cookie would make you melt into your bed.
Thread title is getting increasingly out of date...
(07-01-2020, 07:46 PM)KevinL Wrote: Thread title is getting increasingly out of date...

Updated now.
(07-01-2020, 11:35 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 09:11 PM)embe Wrote: Based on the dates shown I imagine they'd need to be posted, until at least the deadline of submissions = July 11, 2020?

July is for the Bouteek notice on Queen St S. As I recall, the notices for Cannabist (on King St W, across from City Hall) had a deadline sometime in April.

The deadline for submissions for the Cannabist was 30 April. The deadline for the shop at the old Zoup location (sorry, I forget the operator's name) was 22 April, but it no longer appears on the ministry's list of active applications, so I expect it's DOA.

Here is the list of the current applications for Kitchener:
  • KITCHENER Cannabis Supply Co. 1400 WEBER ST E In Progress
  • KITCHENER Sessions Cannabis - Homer Watson 2480 HOMER WATSON BLVD In Progress
  • KITCHENER The Cannabist Shop - King 201 KING ST W In Progress
  • KITCHENER THE CANNABIST SHOP 1283 VICTORIA ST N In Progress
  • KITCHENER Canadian Cannabis Bouteek 90 QUEEN ST S Public Notice: Ends on 2020/07/11
  • KITCHENER META CANNABIS CO FAIRWAY 569 FAIRWAY RD S UNIT H3 Authorized to Open
  • KITCHENER Highland Cannabis 370 HIGHLAND RD W UNIT 15B In Progress
  • KITCHENER Choom Cannabis UNIT B-8, 1400 OTTAWA ST. SOUTH In Progress
  • KITCHENER Sativa Bliss Cannabis 57 QUEEN ST SOUTH In Progress
  • KITCHENER ELEVATE CANNABIS 73 KING ST W SUITE 101 In Progress
https://www.agco.ca/status-current-canna...plications

They apparently only process about 20 applications per month, and there is no indication on the page as to the status, apart from the public notice period. In total, there are only 105 shops province-wide that have been authorized to open, so the process is none to swift.

Here is the list for Waterloo:
  • WATERLOO THE CANNABIST SHOP - WATERLOO 380 KING ST N UNIT 5 In Progress
  • WATERLOO BUD & SALLY CANNABIS CO. 32 KING ST S Authorized to Open
  • WATERLOO SESSION 7 258 KING ST N UNIT 12 In Progress
  • WATERLOO META CANNABIS CO. 220 KING N 220 KING ST N UNIT D In Progress
  • WATERLOO YSS Cannabis 628 KING ST N UNIT A4 In Progress
  • WATERLOO SWEET SEVEN CANNABIS CO. 71 KING ST N UNIT A

Next Time I get high imma prepare by doing some CBD to limit how much THC I get.
(07-03-2020, 11:55 AM)tomh009 Wrote: https://www.agco.ca/status-current-canna...plications

They apparently only process about 20 applications per month, and there is no indication on the page as to the status, apart from the public notice period. In total, there are only 105 shops province-wide that have been authorized to open, so the process is none to swift.

A month later, no further approvals for either Kitchener or Waterloo. It may be more "open" than the lottery but maybe both the staff members on the applications processing team are on vacation now.
This is not Waterloo Region specific but I thought that it might be relevant.
Ontario's cannabis store lottery winners sell shops as more consolidation expected
Most of the retail outlets in Ontario have been acquired by a few large chain operations, no?
(08-10-2020, 09:51 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Most of the retail outlets in Ontario have been acquired by a few large chain operations, no?

No surprise. And I suspect the licensing process with the lottery led to many licensees being people/groups with no intention of actually running a store but rather of selling their license. Typical economic malpractice. Licensing should be based on meeting basic standards of safety/health/etc., not designed to ration market access.
(08-10-2020, 11:24 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 09:51 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Most of the retail outlets in Ontario have been acquired by a few large chain operations, no?

No surprise. And I suspect the licensing process with the lottery led to many licensees being people/groups with no intention of actually running a store but rather of selling their license. Typical economic malpractice. Licensing should be based on meeting basic standards of safety/health/etc., not designed to ration market access.

No lottery now. But, still, I have not seen a single new licence issued in Kitchener-Waterloo since they switched from a lottery to "open licensing" six-plus months ago.

(08-10-2020, 12:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 11:24 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: No surprise. And I suspect the licensing process with the lottery led to many licensees being people/groups with no intention of actually running a store but rather of selling their license. Typical economic malpractice. Licensing should be based on meeting basic standards of safety/health/etc., not designed to ration market access.

No lottery now. But, still, I have not seen a single new licence issued in Kitchener-Waterloo since they switched from a lottery to "open licensing" six-plus months ago.

Wait, it’s fully open now? Anybody can meet some requirements and open a store? If so this may be a more interesting story.
(08-10-2020, 12:41 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 12:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote: No lottery now. But, still, I have not seen a single new licence issued in Kitchener-Waterloo since they switched from a lottery to "open licensing" six-plus months ago.

Wait, it’s fully open now? Anybody can meet some requirements and open a store? If so this may be a more interesting story.

Basically, yes. But you forgot "a lot of patience" as one of the prerequisites!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »