Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
Does anyone know what Ford is doing in their office in one of the old RIM buildings off of Columbia? There is Ford signage on what I think used to be RIM 10. I saw a 2021 Ford Bronco driving down Columbia yesterday (it had Michigan license plates labelled "Manufacturer") - cool to see as the Bronco is not available to the public until next Spring.

(11-12-2020, 04:03 PM)Tony_Plow Wrote: Does anyone know what Ford is doing in their office in one of the old RIM buildings off of Columbia? 

Lots of software engineering, I've met a couple people that work there. https://betakit.com/ford-motor-unveils-n...on-centre/
Sounds like the lot at the corner of Halifax drive and heritage drive has been bought and will be converted into a bunch of townhouses.
(02-01-2021, 02:27 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: Sounds like the lot at the corner of Halifax drive and heritage drive has been bought and will be converted into a bunch of townhouses.

The apartment or the house backing on Georgian Park?

Bonus points for anyone old enough to remember when Nipigon came out onto Heritage here.
(02-03-2021, 06:26 PM)Chris Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 02:27 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: Sounds like the lot at the corner of Halifax drive and heritage drive has been bought and will be converted into a bunch of townhouses.

The apartment or the house backing on Georgian Park?

Bonus points for anyone old enough to remember when Nipigon came out onto Heritage here.
The house, my understanding is that the lot is approximately 1 acre and whoever bought it is looking to put up 3 story townhomes, possibly in the range of 30. 

I assume it will be scaled back by the city, but it sounds like community consultation will be beginning shortly or has begun.
There is construction fencing up on the corner of Fairway and King St. I see utility materials on site, is this just a staging area for a utility project underway nearby?
Sign up for a new strip mall on the SE corner of Fisher Hallman and Westmount opening in 2021 (w/ CIBC). Tenants include Pita Factory and Dominos. Not sure what the status of the steakhouse that was announced last year.

Looked like they were taking soil samples on the long vacant lot on king street next to the mandarin. for sale/for lease signs are also gone.

Would certainly be a nice vote of confidence in the city to see a long vacant plot of land be gobbled up in the midst of a pandemic.
I believe that's zoned for offices so I wonder what would go in if someone has bought it. I'm curious to see how that particular neighbourhood developers once the LRT station is there, because there isn't a whole lot of land around the Sportsworld area.

Also...why do we still call it Sportsworld? The old Sportsworld is long gone and all that remains is a small sports arena and a small stretch of Maplegrove that for whatever reason suddenly becomes Sportsworld Drive for a couple hundred meters. It would have been nice to refer to the area by its old name - Pioneer Tower - and call the LRT station Pioneer Station, Pennsylvania Station or something like that...just something less corporate.
(02-06-2021, 11:20 PM)timio Wrote: Sign up for a new strip mall on the SE corner of Fisher Hallman and Westmount opening in 2021 (w/ CIBC).  Tenants include Pita Factory and Dominos.  Not sure what the status of the steakhouse that was announced last year.
I googled Williamsburg Town Center and the first link is for a map for the town centre/area. I'm not sure how accurate the map is since it's very outdated it lists Blockbuster and Home Hardware as tenants. Also it shows buildings that are built CIBC the Garage and Harveys as buildings to be built. On the CIBC side it shows a restaurant and 3 retail units and a office/retail building so maybe Mr.Mikes steakhouse casual is still Opening. I would copy the link but it won't let me.
(02-12-2021, 12:54 PM)ac3 Wrote: Also...why do we still call it Sportsworld? The old Sportsworld is long gone and all that remains is a small sports arena and a small stretch of Maplegrove that for whatever reason suddenly becomes Sportsworld Drive for a couple hundred meters. It would have been nice to refer to the area by its old name - Pioneer Tower - and call the LRT station Pioneer Station, Pennsylvania Station or something like that...just something less corporate.
Well, there is Sportsworld Crossing Road and Sportsworld Crossing Mall there. Places frequently have names that refer to something that is no longer there. If everybody knows the area by that name, why change it?
I personally feel that Sportsworld Drive itself should be changed to Maple Grove Road. Its a major road thats such a short stub.
(02-12-2021, 03:09 PM)neonjoe Wrote: I personally feel that Sportsworld Drive itself should be changed to Maple Grove Road. Its a major road thats such a short stub.
Yes, I think so too.  I'm not sure why we memorialize the old Sportsworld park.  Why not just call the area "Eat N Putt"...it lasted longer than Pioneer Sportsworld?  In fact when we were kids I think we probably would say we were going out by the Eat N Putt or Pioneer Tower when going to that area...maybe also referred to the area as "Old King"?  

I'd be happy with a practical name for the LRT station like Maplegrove or "Kitchener 401" or even just calling it "Pioneer Tower Station"...it will be over a century old by the time this gets built.

I kind of like weird historic relics like this. In another 100 years, someone's going to ask why in the world this stub of a street is called Sportworld and one of the elders on the forum will recount a faint memory of this long-forgotten place.
"Son, back in the day that's where we went to the arcade and spent 30 dollars at the arcade only to win enough tickets to trade for a plastic Halloween spider ring and 5 Pogs."
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »