Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
(12-08-2021, 04:58 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 03:56 PM)ac3r Wrote: An architect that I know of who worked on this said it's to be pronounced as "tech" because we're supposedly known for technology in this region.

I was also told to not be surprised by the final design or more specifically the materials. The developer has already planned to cheap out on materials and possibly the design just like DTK, so expect to see an even taller eyesore when this is done.

No real surprise there, although the sq ft prices will probably justify higher quality finishes.  As long as they keep building investor apartments, Kitchener is going to get mediocre quality towers, at best.

True, the interior finishes should hopefully be better. I was more critiquing the architectural materials (outer and interior aspects of the structure) since that's my field, I don't know a whole lot about environmental design (or what we used to call "interior design"). But they also said that every building they've worked on with SRM has been as cheap as it can be, mostly due to the fault of developers who want to build cheaply.

(12-08-2021, 05:29 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Classic! The city ought to start finding a way to curtail the ability of developers to pull this game. I understand there are some considerations from design to reality but there is nothing about the proposed architecture here that can't be achieved for a reasonable cost.

If its too much of a mushy game to have some body determining architectural standards, there are always zoning amendments that can become much more difficult your second time around to make "tallest tower" hard to achieve Smile

I will happily volunteer my time to be Chairman of Architectural Criticism for all levels of our regional and city governments! I'd even try to not be too harsh. :^)

Anyone going to the community meeting tonight?
Is there a Zoom link available for it? I don't want to have to bother registering as I don't wish to speak, but I'd be curious to hear from the NIMBYs.
(12-14-2021, 01:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Is there a Zoom link available for it? I don't want to have to bother registering as I don't wish to speak, but I'd be curious to hear from the NIMBYs.

This info is from NextDoor

Plan to attend the December 14th virtual Neighbourhood Meeting for the proposed development at 30 Francis Street South
Date: Tuesday December 14th from 7pm – 8:30pm.
Please click this URL to join. https://kitchener-ca.zoom.us/j/84046841475
Webinar ID: 840 4684 1475
I only joined around 7:50pm so I missed most of the presentation.  The Q&A and open dialogue has been polite and there haven't been any questions that would count as NIMBY questions. The biggest question have been about green space and what the developer is doing to contribute to improving green space, and whether Francis Green can handle additional use.  As an aside, (and this wasn't brought up), I wonder how many new dogs will be wanting to use Francis Green?

A recording of the presentation will be available kitchener.ca/planningapplications at a later date.
Someone asked tonight about the above discussion on IN8 and SRM doing some bad work on DTK condos and others that have done a hard downturn post-proposal. Standard answer was about the city's urban design review needing to review any changes and that "a development in town" had changes due to airflow requirements and not using metal meshing (so, DTK Condos).

Not super confidence inspiring but perhaps they'll be pushed to suck less this time.
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-..._web_ymbii

Non paywall version is on The Record’s app

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnew...3.amp.html

(12-14-2021, 09:26 PM)nms Wrote: I only joined around 7:50pm so I missed most of the presentation.  The Q&A and open dialogue has been polite and there haven't been any questions that would count as NIMBY questions. The biggest question have been about green space and what the developer is doing to contribute to improving green space, and whether Francis Green can handle additional use.  As an aside, (and this wasn't brought up), I wonder how many new dogs will be wanting to use Francis Green?

A recording of the presentation will be available kitchener.ca/planningapplications at a later date.

Additional use?

I can't say I've ever seen it used...and why would it be, it doesn't even have any benches. It's not a particularly well designed space, although the artwork is cool.
(12-16-2021, 10:35 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-14-2021, 09:26 PM)nms Wrote: I only joined around 7:50pm so I missed most of the presentation.  The Q&A and open dialogue has been polite and there haven't been any questions that would count as NIMBY questions. The biggest question have been about green space and what the developer is doing to contribute to improving green space, and whether Francis Green can handle additional use.  As an aside, (and this wasn't brought up), I wonder how many new dogs will be wanting to use Francis Green?

Additional use?

I can't say I've ever seen it used...and why would it be, it doesn't even have any benches. It's not a particularly well designed space, although the artwork is cool.

For what its worth, the developer's rationale was basically this. Its not well configured and they want to update it to be more pleasant to be in with seating and trees/landscaping that will make it more of a place to stay, reduce wind, etc. Seems the only thing being preserved in the re-imagining is that artwork.
(12-16-2021, 10:48 AM)cherrypark Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 10:35 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Additional use?

For what its worth, the developer's rationale was basically this. Its not well configured and they want to update it to be more pleasant to be in with seating and trees/landscaping that will make it more of a place to stay, reduce wind, etc. Seems the only thing being preserved in the re-imagining is that artwork.

Well that seems like a big win!

Thanks for clarifying.
(12-16-2021, 12:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 10:48 AM)cherrypark Wrote: For what its worth, the developer's rationale was basically this. Its not well configured and they want to update it to be more pleasant to be in with seating and trees/landscaping that will make it more of a place to stay, reduce wind, etc. Seems the only thing being preserved in the re-imagining is that artwork.

Well that seems like a big win!

Thanks for clarifying.

No problem. Here is the GSP proposal:

It is nice, although I dont see the current art work there on the drawings.
I just noticed that name. "TEK" tower. reminds of of William Shatner's ghost-written novels, "Tek War". They were actually decent, as was the TV series based off them starring Greg Evigan.

(12-16-2021, 02:18 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: It is nice, although I dont see the current art work there on the drawings.

Will be at the blue dot in the north end of the park in the big circle area.
Definitely an added bonus of this project to help out that corner
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »