Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
Personally, I find Pearson OK (assuming you are able to do priority check-in etc) apart from the unpleasantness of the 401. I'd do YKF if I could fly direct but so far that's not the case for my particular destinations, whereas typically AC will do direct from YYZ.

But, just maybe, we are finally starting to see some momentum on YKF's side, and this will yet turn into much more than a quiet regional airport.

(10-27-2021, 09:43 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Personally, I find Pearson OK (assuming you are able to do priority check-in etc) apart from the unpleasantness of the 401. I'd do YKF if I could fly direct but so far that's not the case for my particular destinations, whereas typically AC will do direct from YYZ.

But, just maybe, we are finally starting to see some momentum on YKF's side, and this will yet turn into much more than a quiet regional airport.

Yeah, having status + NEXUS is quite helpful for flying through Pearson. I should see about whether they're doing NEXUS interviews again. Getting to Pearson is annoying.
(10-28-2021, 05:26 AM)plam Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 09:43 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Personally, I find Pearson OK (assuming you are able to do priority check-in etc) apart from the unpleasantness of the 401. I'd do YKF if I could fly direct but so far that's not the case for my particular destinations, whereas typically AC will do direct from YYZ.

Yeah, having status + NEXUS is quite helpful for flying through Pearson. I should see about whether they're doing NEXUS interviews again. Getting to Pearson is annoying.

In general, I don't have complaints about Pearson itself, its average as far as airports go. It's the 401 that is the problem. Even leaving 4 hours before a flight there is a small chance of missing it.
(10-28-2021, 07:01 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 05:26 AM)plam Wrote: Yeah, having status + NEXUS is quite helpful for flying through Pearson. I should see about whether they're doing NEXUS interviews again. Getting to Pearson is annoying.

In general, I don't have complaints about Pearson itself, its average as far as airports go. It's the 401 that is the problem. Even leaving 4 hours before a flight there is a small chance of missing it.

That's it. If we only had a train connection ... Rolleyes
(10-27-2021, 07:57 PM)plam Wrote: Value brand for the business customer

The photo in the Skies Mag article shows AC Express branding "Operated by Pivot Airlines" so I guess they have lots of experience with this sort of service already.
(10-28-2021, 09:05 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 07:01 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: In general, I don't have complaints about Pearson itself, its average as far as airports go. It's the 401 that is the problem. Even leaving 4 hours before a flight there is a small chance of missing it.

That's it. If we only had a train connection ...  Rolleyes

Not for weekend flights we don't.
(10-29-2021, 06:14 AM)KevinT Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 09:05 AM)tomh009 Wrote: That's it. If we only had a train connection ...  Rolleyes

Not for weekend flights we don't.

Or flights anywhere off commute hour except for...one other time.

You have to be kinda lucky to be able to take the train.

International Flights to (and out) of YKF set to resume November 30th:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/more-ca...-1.6234001
I'll be taking an evening flight out of YKF with Flair in a couple of days. I know I can't expect food service on those planes, is there a decent dinner available once I'm through security, or should I eat before getting to the airport? I did a quick search on the airport web site on my phone earlier today, and they don't seem to have any info there other than the name of the cafe.
(11-08-2021, 02:32 PM)KevinT Wrote: I'll be taking an evening flight out of YKF with Flair in a couple of days. I know I can't expect food service on those planes, is there a decent dinner available once I'm through security, or should I eat before getting to the airport? I did a quick search on the airport web site on my phone earlier today, and they don't seem to have any info there other than the name of the cafe.

It's a basic cafe with sandwiches, it'll do in a pinch but I wouldn't choose to eat there. The post-security holdroom gets very crowded with the Flair flights, so finding space to sit and eat may also be a problem.
(11-08-2021, 04:09 PM)taylortbb Wrote: It's a basic cafe with sandwiches, it'll do in a pinch but I wouldn't choose to eat there. The post-security holdroom gets very crowded with the Flair flights, so finding space to sit and eat may also be a problem.

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks!
From https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business...to-mexico/

Quote:Flair – which bills itself as an ultra-low-cost carrier offering unbundled, bare-bones fares to budget-conscious travellers – announced Tuesday it will begin non-stop flights this winter to Cancun and Los Cabos, Mexico, from Vancouver, Abbotsford, Edmonton, Ottawa and Kitchener-Waterloo.

[...]

Flair’s new Mexico service will begin Feb. 1, with fares starting between $79-$109 one-way.
Construction update pictures:

https://twitter.com/FlyYKF/status/1461778081581043714

Gee:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business...l-discord/

Honestly, we don't know what the future holds, but I submit this supports my claim that our massive airport investments are risky.
Yes, it is a risk.  But think of the rewards - just $49 to fly to Deer Lake, Nfld!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »